My entire course and tutorials of west african kora lessons is now HERE, in two version:
1) Kora Lessons Deluxe: here you will find all the videos I have created on the kora, all my old video lessons and, if I ever manage to do them, also any new lessons and updates. You will also find all the in-depth material, video, audio and pdf…
2) Kora Lesson Standard: here you will find my basic lessons in Italian and subtitles in English, at basic and advanced level, along with in-depth pdf material. These are not all my lessons, but enough to work with the kora for several years. This version of the course does not currently provide any future updates (if I ever manage to do them).
You can also take advantage of a series of DISCOUNTS and promotional opportunities. Below is the list that will be updated from time to time:
Receive a discount on a new Kumbengo kora equal to the cost of the kora course you paid … and also get discounts on accessories.
Click to find out how!
Kora lessons and tutorials, deluxe edition:
Kora lessons and tutorials, standard edition:
KORA LESSONS FOR EVERYONE!
my name is Andrea Candeloro and I WELCOME you to the first Kora course in the world!
Here are some things that the 21-string African lute harp can do for you through these video lessons, the first to have been created on the subject in an organic and structured way:
- “Step by step”, you will learn to develop a strong sense of rhythm with the repetition of “kumbengo” or obstinate rhythms, even very complex ones.
- You will learn about traditional African music which will allow you to repeat and create melodies by ear.
- You will be able to perform in front of an audience without feeling embarrassed, but rather involving the audience.
- You will be able to free all your creativity and imagination in the improvisation that characterizes this type of music.
- You will be able to live real "mystical" or spiritual experiences, in connection with your instrument and with the magic of its learning.
- Playing the kora will make you a more complete musician, happy with his results and happy to share his art with the world.
- You can play alone or in a group with other musical instruments of all types and traditions.
- You will be able to relax in ancestral sounds and sing (your songs) with the accompaniment of the strings.
- You will become a "korafola", ie a kora player!
- And much and much more...
If you are here, in fact, it's because you are looking for something like "how to play the kora" or "kora lessons" or "kora course" or similar.
What you are looking for is most likely what I was looking for around 2011 (the year in which the embryo of this course was born, then evolved...): a guide, a tutorial, suggestions, lessons, but above all some ideas to increase your musical knowledge, in the world of kora and African music.
That's why I told you before that this was the first kora course in the world (the results of Google and YouTube, still today, speak for themselves...): because for several years no one, besides me, gave online and for free video lessons on the world of the kora, at least not so structured and complete.
There existed, as they still exist today, a few scattered lessons from others - which almost seem to be recorded while the performance is in progress - where they don't even tell you the scale in which the kora is tuned, or don't explain any "kumbengo" (rhythmic-melodic ostinato) .
And yes, that of the kora is a "secret" that has been taught from father to son for generations and orally - every "Djeli" (singer and musician) is a "living library" - within certain families and only those.
Imagine, up to 50 years ago, in Africa, only touching without permission the kora of a Griot (but let's call them Djeli - it means "blood" - as they prefer and not as the colonizers do) was equivalent to having to compensate for moral damage.
It was therefore forbidden to teach the kora outside the family: the “korafola” (kora player) was only a close member of the clan. And the clan belonged to a particular ethnic group, the Mandingo, or Mandinka.
For this reason we speak of "ethnic" music or "ethnic" instrument.
Did you already know all this?
Well, I learned it in several years of study, living side by side with my master Madya Diebate and learning the kora in the traditional way.
And the more I went on, the more I felt this desire, this dream, this aspiration grow in me: to share kora and African music with as many people as possible.
But most of the kora players I knew soon gave up studying and music because they found traditional oral teaching too difficult, without scores, according to the "look and redo, listen and repeat" method ...
So, I started wondering how to make learning easier, for example how to create kora scores, or at least visual and numerical indications of the strings to play...
Or how to frame the kora in first person view, so that it feels like holding it in the hands and many other things ...
Slowly, slowly, it all started out of my need: I was hoping that many other kora players, seeing me, could also start doing video lessons from which I too could learn... I wanted to give the the startiting note... but then and for many years I was the only one to make structured kora video lessons, so much so that I became a world reference point.
And I would have continued for a long time, were it not that, unfortunately, due to my previous illness, I then had to stop.
Well yes: I interrupted this course and I could not complete it as I would have liked, so I had to leave out of this course many lessons that could still have been done on the kora and the world of African music ...
It is right that you know, but don't worry, because despite this, in this course you will find so much of that material that you can work on it for several years, if not for your entire career as a "korafola"!
And I will still try to update it in the future, even if this is not a promise for now, mind you, but only a hope, a dream... like the dream I had more than ten years ago: sharing African music and making know the kora to as many people as possible!
I fought in different ways to do it, investing time and a lot of money, sacrifices and hours upon hours of study, to share this information with you... so in the end I decided to make them pay and not distribute them for free: because it is right that you also value your learning.
Only in this way will you be able to do your best to succeed.
And, I assure you, if you persevere you will succeed!
So, what are you waiting for?!
It is useless to procrastinate further.
I'll wait for you inside the course: embark on this musical adventure with me!
Start your korafola course!
In this Kora course, among other things, you will find:
- Learn to play the kora, the 21-string African harp played by Djeli.
- Three levels of learning: basic, intermediate and expert.
- Gradual "step by step" learning with exercises for each grade.
- 12+ HOURS of specific lessons, plus other hours of special lessons, video & audio performances.
- HD quality of most videos with first person shot of the kora: it will be like having the kora in your hands!
- No particular basic skills required, not even musical: you will learn everything you need inside the course.
- Scores of kora and musical notation.
- Audio and video accompaniment bases.
- Numerical, visual and musical indications of the strings to be played: you can't go wrong!
- Spoken language English or Italian (with integrated English subtitles: choose your best language.
- Traditional method of teaching the kora used by the Djeli, combined with a European musical approach and mentality: to achieve maximum understanding of the topics!
- Traditional songs and "kumbengo" (rhythmic-melodic ostinato) of West African music.
- Exercises and fingering techniques for all learning levels.
- Free digital audio CD!
- Support also via email for any questions or concerns!
The FIRST and ORIGINAL KORA video COURSE in the WORLD: KORA LESSONS COURSE!